Gifts of Stocks and Bonds
Donating appreciated securities, including stocks or bonds, is an easy and tax-effective way for you to make a gift to Capital Caring.
Benefits of gifts of stocks and bonds
- Avoid paying capital gains tax on the sale of appreciated stock
- Receive a charitable income tax deduction
- Further our mission today
How to make a gift of stocks and bonds
There are three options:
- BY PHONE: Have your broker handle it - but first you or your broker must call Jared Hughes our Director of Legacy Giving & Major Gifts and he will provide Capital Caring's account information at Charles Schwab & Co. Your broker will need this information in order to complete the transfer. Jared's number is 703-531-2383 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- BY LETTER: You may send a letter to your brokerage institution with the above account information detailing which securities and/or the amount / approximate value of the share or units you want to be transferred to Capital Caring. The institution puts the securities in Capital Caring's account 2204-1703 at Charles Schwab & Co. You can ask Jared to prepare the letter for you to email or mail to your broker. Keep in mind the transfer must be completed before December 31st to count as a charitable gift in that same year.
- BY CERTIFIED MAIL FOR ACTUAL PAPER CERTIFICATES - If you hold securities in certificate form, you will need to mail two envelopes separately to complete your gift. In the first envelope, place the unsigned stock certificate(s). In the other envelope, include a signed stock power for each certificate. You may obtain this power from your broker or bank. Please remember to use certified mail and send to
Director of Legacy Giving & Major Gifts
2900 Telestar Ct
Falls Church, VA 22042
More on gifts of stocks and bonds
There are special rules for valuing a gift of stock. The value of a charitable gift of stock is determined by taking the mean between the high and low stock price on the date of the gift. Mutual fund shares are valued using the closing price for the fund on the date of the gift.
If you have any questions about gifts of stocks and bonds, please contact us. We would be happy to assist you and answer any questions that you have.